Edible Garden Yard Interview
Chantal – Winner 2014
1. How long have you been working on your masterpiece?
We started everything spring of 2014. It was pretty busy trying to build gardens from scratch and get it all planted in time.
2. Did you have a master vision of what it would look like in the “end” or did everything take shape as you went along?
A bit of both. We knew we wanted raised beds and a curving side path, but what we planted and where happened as we went along.
3. When do you start prepping for the Spring?
I believe our dirt arrived in late April or early May, but the prep work was started as soon as the snow melted.
4. What are your big plans for this year?
This year we are putting in a perennial flower bed at the very front of the house.
5. Where do you get your gardening supplies and plants? And why?
We get our plants and supplies from a variety of places, depending on availability and cost. We love salisbury for the quality of plants that you can’t find at the chain retail stores, as well as level of service and knowledge.
6. Where do you find most of your design inspiration?
When we were planning the landscaping, pinterest was probably the most used inspiration site
7. Do you have friends and family inviting themselves over to enjoy all your hard work?
Well, I wouldn’t put it quite that way, but last year we had enough zucchini to feed a small army- so our friends and family do get to enjoy our hard work!
8. What advice do you have for someone who is just getting ready to dig up his or her yard?
For us, the biggest thing was quality dirt. We went with a cheaper option and ended up weeding all spring, and having to add a lot to the dirt at the end of the year to enrich it.
9. How do you scratch that gardening itch in the off-season?
I like to plan where I will plant things when the ground is still frozen, it keeps me believing that spring will come! Also a sunny window will grow wonderful herbs, so use that if you can.
Do you think your yard is brag-worthy? Find out how you can enter this years Salisbury Yards contest.